Another wonderful thing about jicamas/singkamas is that it’s packed with nutrients.
Tag: filipino recipe
The humble ube. Ugly on the outside, damn good in the inside! That’s how I would sum up this humble root crop. Ube is a staple dessert or snack ingredient in the Philippines, and it has especially become famous/trending with other recipes like ube cheese pandesal, and ube cakes. This time, let’s use ube and make it to a tasty Ube Pie with a crunchy crust.
2 kg. ube (purple yam)
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup all-purpose cream
1 ½ cup white sugar
- Remove the skin and cut the ube to chunks. Then boil in a large pot of water for 15-20 minutes.
(A tip though before removing the skin, wet your hands with cooking oil to not get the sticky and itchy liquid irritate your skin while you do this process.)
- Drain and set aside the liquid.
- Mash the ube by either using a glass and bowl. Another option is by putting the cooked ube to a food processor, while adding the set-aside-water from earlier.
- In a wok, mix the milk, salt, and sugar and continue to stir until the sugar is thoroughly dissolved.
- Then add the mashed ube, and continue to stir ‘til you have a thick consistency. Make sure to turn the stove to low heat and continuously stir the bottom to avoid the ube from burning.
- Add the all-purpose cream and continue to mix for 5 minutes. Then asset aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 240 degrees for 15 minutes.
- With your cooked pie crust, fill it with the ube mixture and make sure to tap the pie a few times to make sure that you don’t leave any bubbles in the filling.
- Do a criss-cross of the dough ribbons, and make sure to nip the ends of the ribbon to the side crust.
- Then brush with an egg wash (1 whole egg –beaten).
- Place in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until you have a crispy golden brown color of the crust.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
P.S. Now if you are a big ube/purple yam fan, I also made a recipe of the famous Filipino dessert/snack Ube Halaya which you can find the recipe here. Video tutorial is right down below.