Tilapia for me is a tasty fish meat that deserves some good old kitchen magic that easily brings out its flavor without that “tilapia fishy smell”. With this Tilapia recipe, I’ve used herbs and spices to make this dish aromatic by simply steaming it.
1 whole tilapia roughly ¾ of a kilo (cleaned up. Removed scales and gills removed then gutted it out)
Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
Onions (medium size bulb sliced into chunks)
Ginger (2 thumbsize, sliced thinly)
Tomatoes (medium sized)
Kaffir Lime Leaves (3 pcs.)
Oyster Sauce (1 tablespoon)
Sugar (1 teaspoon)
Fish sauce also known as patis
Soy sauce (2 tablespoon)
Coriander or Yansoy (4 stalks)
Spring onion (3 sprigs)
Sesame oil (2 tablespoon)
- Mix the salt, onions, ginger, tomatoes, kaffir lime leaves, and oyster sauce to a bowl. Then stuff the insides of the fix with this mixture.
- T0 make sure that we thoroughly cook the tilapia, lightly cut the meat on both sides.
- On a separate bowl mix the fish sauce, sugar, and soy sauce. Mix until the sugar is thoroughly dissolved.
- Prep your steamer with ½ liter of water, then let it boil to medium heat. Once boiling carefully place our fish meat with a sizeable steamer plate under the fish. Make sure you have a plate that can fit to the mold ok? Then add the sauce that we did earlier, followed by the ginger and steam initially for 7 to 10 minutes.
- After the first 10 minutes, make sure to bathe the meat with its sauce so all that flavor seeps into the fish. Steam again for another 5 to 7 minutes or depends on the size of your tilapia.
- As you wait for the fish to be cooked, heat the sesame oil about 30 seconds to a minute. Then set aside.
- Once the fish is cooked, carefully remove the entire fish using a spatula then place it on a serving plate.
- Temporarily remove the ginger for a while, and then drizzle those delicious sauces from the steam earlier. Then drizzle that piping hot sesame oil. Then topped the ginger again, followed by the spring onions, and coriander.
- Serve while steaming hot paired with a freshly steamed rice.