Preservative-Free Lechon Sauce | Mang Tomas Sarsa
This liver gravy is one of Filipino’s favorite dips for the famous lechon. Other than it’s thick and meaty taste, it provides a flavorful mix to the fatty goodness of the lechon meat. It is also used as dips with lechon manok and lechon kawali. And if you have plenty of leftover lechon meat (roasted pig), it is a must-have ingredient to make a lechon paksiw. In the Philippines, it’s locally known as the branded Mang Tomas sauce. It’s a Filipino dipping sauce that you can easily grab from your nearest grocery store.
I’ve always been fascinated on how this saucy and meaty dip is made, but as much as I want to conveniently buy this from my local grocery store, I get a bit worried on the fact that it has preservatives. So with a few trials and errors, I’ve managed to copy this sauce without the preservatives. And if I may add, it’s a great recipe to make for those cheap cuts of liver meat too!
½ kilo pork liver
2 tablespoon ground black pepper
½ cup red onions (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups of water
¼ cup white vinegar
1/8 cup white sugar
3 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Prep a pot of boiling water to a pot, then add the liver meat once the water starts to boil. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the liver meat and roughly slice to cubes, then place in a food processer and the garlic ‘til you get the meat into small chunks. Then set aside.
- Using a wok over medium heat, add the vegetable oil, then followed with the onions. Stir until the onions turns translucent.
- Then add the grinded pork liver and water and stir for a minute or two.
- Add the salt, black pepper, and vinegar. Let it boil for 2 minutes without mixing altogether.
- Then mix and add the sugar. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Followed by the bread crumbs.
- Stir and cook again for another minute.
- Place the mixture back to the food processer for a minute or until you have your desired consistency.
- Set aside and serve with your favorite pair of meat dish.
For this Mang Tomas recipe, make your meals a complete dish by pairing this with my Lechon Kawali.