Perfectly Soft Shawarma Bread
When it comes to Shawarma, one important ingredient is the bread. This is kinda confusing because this flat bread comes in many names. You can call it a Nan bread, and Pita bread, and some also call it Chapati. Oh well, since I'm using it for a shawarma recipe, it's called the ultimate soft and perfect Shawarma bread. Ok internet, no more arguing!
One thing I like about making my own homemade Shawarma bread is I can easily make it at home, and even if I don't use it for a shawarma sandwich, I can just pair it with a simple youghurt garlic sauce, or pair it with my homemade hummus.
¼ cup warm water
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
Pinch of salt
2 cups of flour
Extra flour for dusting
½ cup of regular water
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (you can substitute vegetable oil)
- Mix the warm water and yeast, and leave it for 5 minutes for the yeast to fully activate and bubbles up.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, yeast, and water. Then massage the dough to a soft and smooth ball.
- Brush the bowl with oil, and lightly coat the dough with the oil as well.
- Let the dough rest for 45 minutes and cover with a kitchen towel.
- Using a wide surface area, or a wide chopping board. Dust it with flour.
- Then cut the dough in equal portions. For this recipe, I managed to make 6 shawarma breads.
- Using a rolling pin, carefully roll the small dough until it forms a flat circle. Dust it with more flour if it gets too sticky.
- Now using a flat pan or griddle over low-medium heat, lightly rub it with the oil. Leave your pan to warm for 1 minute.
- Then place the flat dough, and let it cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until you see bubbles form up. Then flip the other side to cook.
- Serve warm as is with a dip or use it for a Shawarma sandwich.
Final note: Now this is my first video for this 2-video part series of my Shawarma recipe. So make sure to subscribe to my Youtube channel so you won't miss it. I will also be doing my first Youtube channel giveaway, so make sure to subscribe and click the bell button beside it so you'll be notified once that video is up.