No-Fail Beef Shawarma Recipe + Special Giveaways!
I always have this knack for eating Indian and Middle Eastern food. Since me sister started selling imported spices through her store Molinos dela Especia, I’ve been getting my steady supply of aromatic and healthy spices for my dishes, which then brings me to the reality of finally making my homemade Shawarmas.
For some weird reason, Filipinos have adopted to the flavors of this unique Middle Eastern sandwich snack. It’s marinated beef, and shawarma sauces are quite an explosion of flavors to your palate. Shawarma sandwiches in the Philippines are normally bought inside malls or foodcourt stalls where you just basically order and go. No time for sitting here! It’s a great snack to have when you are in a hurry and want something that is also filling.
Another interesting thing about Shawarma is a find it as a great dish to serve up if you are hosting families and friends in your house as you can simply prepare the bread and other ingredients ahead, and have your guests make their own.
Now for this Beef Shawarma recipe, I have simplified the procedure for the sauces and this is also my first GIVEAWAY to you my dear readers and Youtube subscribers. YEHEY!!!!! So make sure to watch the full video so you won’t miss the chance to WIN two of the most important ingredients for this Shawarma recipe. 3 lucky winners will be selected and will win a pair of the Garam Masala Spices from Molinos, and a bottle of Senor Silly from Sapio Trading.
And, I’d like to give a shout out of Molinos for these amazing spices and to Sapio trading specially Mr. Jed Sapio for collaborating with me on this video. So without further ado, here’s your recipe for this easy to make Shawarma.
½ kilo beef fillet
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Garam Masala powder – you can order this here
Handful of Coriander leaves – roughly sliced
3 cloves of garlic – peeled and chopped
Tahini paste – you can get the recipe here or substitute of with sesame oil
2 kalamansi – squeezed
Salt to taste
½ teaspoon of sugar
½ cup Greek yoghurt (regular yoghurt will do)
1/8 cup of water
Senor Silly hot sauce – optional for a spicy kick
1 medium size white onion – thinly sliced
Cucumber – sliced thinly
Green tomatoes – thinly sliced
Cabbage – thinly sliced in strips
- Pound the meat until you have a thin layer of meat. This process will also help tenderize the meat.
- Then add the garam masala powder and salt, and marinate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Thinly slice your vegetables and set aside.
- For the sauce: Mix the chopped coriander, garlic, yoghurt, tahini sauce, salt, sugar, water, kalamansi, hot sauce into a food processor or blender. Then set aside.
- For the bread: make sure to watch my recipe for the Shawarma Bread. Prep the bread and set aside.
- Using a flat pan or griddle, turn the heat to medium and drizzle with oil. Then grill/sear the beef meat for 1 minute on each side. Set aside and let it rest for 3 minutes.
- Cut the meat into strips.
- Time to assemble your beef shawarma sandwich by placing bread in a flat surface. Then in the middle part of the bread, add a layer of the cabbage, tomatoes, cucumber, onions, and beef cuts.
- Then add the shawarma sauce.
- Fold the sides of the bread.
- Optional: Use a wax paper as a cover so the Shawarma sandwich stays perfectly rolled.
To make sure you can get the exact flavors for this Shawarma recipe, you can also get these two ingredients easily by ordering online.