Chowking Beef Chao Fan Recipe Hack
When Chowking launched their new fried rice offering, the Beef Chao Fan, I thought it was just your typical fried rice that you get from all other Chinese restaurant. But once I tasted the said dish, it had quite a great taste that I found myself addicted to it for quite some time. Initially, I thought it was easy to copy or “hack” the dish since it’s just fried rice, however, it had that distinct taste that I can’t put my finger on. Thus, I tried replicating it in my own kitchen but had #EPICFAIL moments with it.
Not until I figured one crucial ingredient that made all the difference! So without further adieu, here’s my recipe for the famous Chowking Beef Chao Fan Rice.
4 cups of cooked rice
½ cup carrots – diced into small cuts
¼ kilo special ground beef
1 medium size red onion – chopped
3 cloves of garlic – peeled and chopped
2 stalks of spring onions – chopped
2 cups of green cabbage – chopped
2 tablespoon of lauriat soy sauce – for meat
2 tablespoon of lauriat soy sauce – for rice
Salt to taste
White sugar (optional)
Beef lard (also known as beef fats/taba ng baka) – 2 tablespoon
- Using a pan/wok over high heat, add the vegetable oil, and sautee the onions, followed by garlic.
- Followed by the ground beef, stir until the meat turns white, then add a bit of salt. Allow the meat to cook and with the water to fully evaporate. To have that umami flavor, add a bit of white sugar (roughly ½ teaspoon). Once done, then set aside.
- Using the same wok, stir fry the chopped carrots. Add a bit of water to avoid the carrots to go brown. Let it cook until the carrots have softened.
- Add back the beef meat to the mixture, and continue to stir for a couple of seconds. Then add the cooked rice. If you have the beef lard, this is the part where you add it to the mixture.
- Remove the lumps from the rice and continue to stir for a minute.
- Add the second batch of soy sauce and remaining sugar to the rice mix, stir again for a couple of seconds.
- Toss the spring onions and cabbage. Stir again for about 10 seconds.
- Serve and enjoy!